For many dog lovers, the Cavapoochon is the dream dog. Cavapoochon fans are willing to fritter away almost $4,000 just to have a pup. Yes, they are on the higher end compared to most designer breeds. But with dogs as cute as these, it’s not difficult to understand why so many pet lovers want to have one!
They are well-adored not just in the United States but also in many dog-loving countries like the UK and Australia. But more than their charming looks, there is more to love with these dogs and we listed all of them down below:
1. They come from three different breeds. Unlike most designer dogs, a Cavapoochon is not just the result of pairing two different breeds of dogs because it is a triple-cross. Dogs with three different breeds are not as common as dogs with two breed combinations. Breeders of these dogs are not that easy to find, hence buying one can be a bit expensive.
Many breeders can be found in the United States alone. The name Cavapoochon actually stands for Cavalier King Spaniel, Toy Poodle, and Bichon Frise. It’s mostly Poodle, hence the typical Doodle look is very evident. In case you haven’t heard about Doodles, these are Poodles crossed with other breeds of dogs. The result is a designer dog that looks like a teddy bear that has come to life.
2. They were first developed using the finest lines of purebred dogs. It was in 2001 when the first Cavapoochons were bred. Arizona-based breeders Linda and Steve Rodgers wanted to come up with a family pet that would not trigger allergies. The duo, who owns Timshell Farm, used a Toy Poodle sire and a Cavachon dam in breeding the first ever Cavapoochon.
Linda Rodgers was pleased with the Cavachon’s sweet nature, hence she used the dog in developing the triple cross. The dog was specifically bred to come up with a low-shedding dog that boasts a friendly disposition aside from having good longevity. The Rodgers have been using purebred dogs that are free from genetic faults.
3. They have an endearing personality. Not only Cavapoochons boast a charm like no other but they also come with a great temperament. They are often the top choice for households with young children because of their cheerfulness and playfulness.
You don’t have to worry about them getting along with kids, because they are known for being gentle with everyone and donot have a reputation for barking loud. The bonus part is that this dog will likely shower you with hugs and kisses – not bad when you had a long day.
4. The Cavapoochon is perfect for households with allergy to pet hair and dander. Do you want a pooch that will not make you sneeze? Get a Cavapoochon. These dogs do not shed much or produce a lot of dander, which makes them suitable for people with hypersensitivity to pets.
They are known for being hypoallergenic, since they have a thick fleece coat once born. You will not have to worry much about grooming, because this curly coat becomes silkier over time. It’s because the Cavapoochon has 50% of the Poodle gene in its lineage. The rest is a combination of the Bichon Frise and the Cavalier King Spaniel.
5. They have the looks of a teddy bear. Who would not want to go home to such a darling? No wonder they are becoming popular across the United States and United Kingdom. Cavapoochons look like little stuffed toys even at adulthood. Cavapoochons are difficult to resist because of their fluffiness.
Then who would say no to their puppy eyes? You will surely love sharing your space with this cute little buddy. However, you might find it difficult to say no to them when they want some treats because of those cute puppy looks.
6. Cavapoochons come in stunning coat colors. Do you find a red or an apricot Cavapoochon endearing? This color is pretty popular among this designer breed and there is no doubt why. It is a beautiful color that deserves to get noticed.
If you want other colorings, you will be glad to know that sable does exist and it is as luxurious-looking as other colors. They are a bit costly, though, since you cannot easily find breeders of sable Cavapoochons.
7. Cavapoochons are smart dogs.This does not come as a surprise. Having 50% of the Poodle gene in its lineage, you can expect a dog that is intelligent in many aspects since the Poodle ranked second in the list of smartest dog breeds. Both the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and the Bichon Frise have an average intelligence, but that does not mean they cannot excel in various aspects.
These dogs are actually known for being easy to socialize. Intelligence is one of the first things to consider when choosing a breed. After all, you will spend some time training your dog, so it matters to have a pooch that can easily gauge whatever you teach him. It is rare to hear complaints about Cavapoochons. They are easy to handle, especially when you want a dog that can be trained without much hassle.
You will actually be surprised how these dogs become more independent day by day. Most pups are successful at housetraining after four to six months but there are Cavapoochons that are housetrained as early as at three months of age.
8. They look like puppies forever. So you want a pet that looks forever young? Then this breed is the perfect choice if you want a dog but are intimidated by larger breeds. You can never go wrong with a Cavapoochon. This designer dog is actually touted as the ‘dog that never grows old.’ Thanks to the Bichon Frise and the Cavalier genes, this dog looks like a young dog its entire life.
More than its puppy look that seems to stay forever, the Cavapoochon boasts a playful and fun side that stays until adulthood. As adults, Cavapoochons grow no more than 20 pounds. It is a good choice if you are looking for a pet that can fit in any type of house. It’s best for apartment dwellers with very limited space for their pets.
9. They are easy to carry anywhere. If you want a pooch that is easy to bring along during travels, you cannot go wrong with a Cavapoochon. Miniatures weigh between 12 to 15 pounds, although most of these pups can grow larger than this range. Even if you have a 20-pound dog, it’s still easy to bring him with you during travels.
There are a lot of pieces of gear currently available for traveling with pets. One of the best things you can buy for your Cavapoochon is a harness to stop him from pulling on the leash. This gives youfull control when going outside. You never know when accidents can happen so it also helps to have poop bags with you.
You can find biodegradable bags, which are environment-friendly. There are poop bags that look too thin and are prone to leaks and tear. When buying poop bags for your Cavapoochon, look for ones made of super strong materials so you can guarantee mess-free travels with your dog.
10. Cavapoochons have a long lifespan. These designer dogs boast a long life, thanks to the Poodle gene. Did you know that most of them live 12 to 15 years on average? This is on par with the average life expectancy of its Poodle parent.
It’s like having a long-term friend, but one that will shower you with lots of hugs and kisses every day! Some of them even make it up to 20 years, when well taken care of. Cavapoochons usually come with a health guarantee when they are adopted, so you can be sure your dog is in its top shape before bringing him home.
To help your pooch lead a healthy life, make sure he is given high-quality food and supplements. Probiotics should also be given as needed because they are good for their overall health.
Important Things to Consider when Getting Cavapoochons
Buying a Cavapoochon involves paying thousands of dollars. Therefore, it helps to be meticulous in dealing with breeders particularly those you just met online. When buying your Cavapoochon, make sure to secure the following:
Enhanced pedigree certificate of the parent breeds –this is like your pup’s birth certificate and contains your dog’s ancestry records. This will also include special details about your pup, like if he came from a champion bloodline, meaning from dogs with achievements throughout their lifetime. More often than not, these dogs come with a higher price tag.
Vaccine records – your puppy should be given the core vaccines as early as six weeks of age. Core vaccines include DAP (distemper, adenovirus or hepatitis, and parvovirus). Sometimes, it is also referred to as DHPP when parainfluenza is included. These types of vaccines should be given on time to protect your pup from a number of life-threatening diseases. Young dogs still have developing immune systems and they need extra protection as soon as they are weaned from their mother.
DNA tests – you should get a copy of the exam results proving that your Cavapoochon can live a long and healthy life. Genetic testing will help screen a dog for a number of inherited diseases including hip dysplasia and Progressive Retinal Atrophy. A single test can already diagnose more than a hundred types of diseases. All you need to do is submit a blood sample or samples of swab to animal testing centers.
Depending on your dog’s age, he might already have had his first few visits to the vet. He should also receive treatments against worms and other types of intestinal parasites. Breeders usually let their clients have a copy of the vet records to be used as reference. Don’t forget to secure these documents before bringing home your new fur baby.
There are so many things to love about Cavapoochons more than their charming looks. They boast a good health and eventually a long life. They are loved in the dog world for their cuteness, but more than that, Cavapoochons are smart little dogs that can be easily trained.